Loss Of Business From A Natural Disaster The City Hasn't Repaired? What To Do To Make A Claim

14 February 2020
 Categories: Insurance, Blog


If a natural disaster has caused extreme property damage to your small business and the city hasn't fixed the problem, you shouldn't suffer because of the income loss. When customers can't get in the door or they think that your business is closed and you can't make a profit, this is a problem.

You will want to find a loss-of-income claims adjuster to inform them about the loss of business. If you qualify to be compensated, then you may be able to get back some of what you are losing.

Evidence of the Damages

Take pictures of all the damages to show why people can't get into your business or why they may think that you aren't open for business. You also want to show why it's difficult to get inside the building. The pictures along with the slow progress of the repairs are important. If you have gotten letters from the city about the repairs, give this to the insurance company and keep for legal purposes.

Estimated Wages Loss

You need to figure out how much money you think you have lost. To do this, you want to pull up records from the past couple years in the same months to see what the profits were, compared to how much you are making now. Add up the difference and total up how much you have lost and what you want to claim for this.

Potential Long-Term Problems

If you are worried that the loss of business may have a long-term effect on your business and that you may not be able to rebound financially, you need to talk with a lawyer. The lawyer will go over your legal options to see if what the city has done is illegal and if you could potentially have a case against them and their negligence to repair the property.

There are a lot of different things that you will have to worry about when you have a natural disaster and the front of your business is not accessible, but if your financial struggles are severe, you want to make a claim with your insurance provider. They will send an adjuster to look at the damages of the property to evaluate how much business you've really lost and to see what your options are to get some money back. The sooner you get started, the sooner you can get some money for compensation.