3 Extras You May Want To Include In Your Homeowner's Insurance Policy

18 June 2018
 Categories: Insurance, Blog


Whether you are buying your very first home or just want to shop around for a new policy, homeowner's insurance will be an imperative part of your family's finances. In most cases, these insurance policies cover the basics, such as damage from a storm or house fire and even theft. Unfortunately, the majority of homeowners are not covered for other perils that may affect the home and your financial future. Here are a few "extras" you may want your homeowner's insurance policy to cover.


It is true that most earthquakes occur on the western portion of the United States. However, they are still possible on the eastern side. While surprising to hear, an earthquake that occurs east of the Rocky Mountains can cause similar ground shaking at further distances than earthquakes of the same magnitude in the west.

If you live in the east, you may not believe an earthquake will become a problem for you or your house, but it is definitely possible. In addition, even a small earthquake in the eastern part of the country can pose big problems, so making sure you are prepared with adequate insurance is key.


Today, many people are choosing to protest against or in agreement with certain laws or political, social, or economic beliefs. Unfortunately, these simple protests can turn into overwhelming and dangerous riots because many protestors carry around so much anger and hate towards others who have different beliefs.

Surprisingly, these riots can become problematic for homeowners. Broken windows, fires, vandalism, and even theft are all possible issues that can occur to your home during a riot. Many of these issues can be easily repaired while others will require a good amount of time and money to restore your home back to its original state.

Incorporating specialty coverage that protects your home against vandalism and riot damage may seem unnecessary, but it can be a worthwhile investment.


Some mortgage companies require you to include flood coverage on your insurance policy. Others, however, do not have this requirement, so you may not believe the extra cost is worth the extra coverage.

It is important to note that even a small amount of water can cause enormous damage to your home. As a matter of fact, experts believe one foot of water can cause over $27,000 worth of damage to a 1000-square foot home. Therefore, you should protect yourself even if you live in an area that has a low risk of flooding.

Your homeowner's insurance policy such as one obtained from a company like Accurate Insurance Services is essential for protecting your home and financial future. By including these extras in your policy, you will be able to protect your home and finances in a more detailed manner.